Students challenged to make a difference
09 July 2020 | G Denison
How many days does it take for you to get bored in the summer holidays? Well, why not do something more exciting, spend time with your mates and maybe bag yourself a fantastic prize?
The popular North Yorkshire Police Lifestyle Challenge competition is back and better than ever for 2020!
The challenge is open to all 8 – 18 year olds who are resident in York or North Yorkshire. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: get together with your up to six of your mates – either virtually or in person (adhering to social distancing guidance) – think up a digital project between you and then do it!
Your project could benefit your street, your community or your environment. It’s entirely up to you. It just needs to make a difference in your community.
Your project needs to be based on one of the five following categories;
- Volunteer Hero – Choose a charity that means something to you and support them. This can be through fundraising or volunteering in the work they do. We would particular like to see you support charities who have helped our communities get through the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Community Challenge – You could identify some vulnerable or isolated people within your community and help them. Perhaps you could raise awareness and understanding of mental health in the community, or do something that creates a feel good factor in your community and reduces anti-social behaviour.
- Crime Buster Challenge – Design and deliver a project which prevents or reduces crime in your community. Maybe you could create a video which raises awareness of fraud and cybercrime or online exploitation. Perhaps there are certain groups in your community who are susceptible to certain crime types and you could help to protect them against being targeted?
- Care & Respect Challenge – Perhaps you could design and deliver a project which educates people about bullying or the harm and damage hate crime can cause?
- Educating Others Challenge – Your project could help educate and prevent children and adults getting involved in drug and alcohol abuse, county lines, or how to stay safe online, how to care for their mental health or the issues around missing young people and exploitation.
Get involved with the North Yorkshire Police Lifestyle Challenge 2020. https://northyorkshire.police.uk/what-we-do/public-campaigns/lifestyle/