Special Education Needs & Disabilities
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
At Northallerton School & Sixth Form College, we value all of our students and ensure that they are seen as individuals with differing interests, knowledge, skills and needs. We have an inclusive ethos and strive to increase the learning and participation of all students, ensuring access to an appropriate curriculum. SEND is seen as a whole school issue, hence the responsibility of everyone. Every teacher is a teacher of every young person including those with SEND or any other additional need. We work closely with our children, families and a wide range of professionals to ensure the best educational outcomes.
Objectives of Northallerton School & Sixth Form College's SEND Provision
- Ensuring equality of opportunity for all – students should be able to access as wide a range of learning opportunities as well as being fully integrated in school life socially.
- Ensuring that the specific needs of individual students are identified and met, whether on a short or longer term basis and that all staff are involved in this process, as well as outside agencies, where necessary.
- Providing appropriate support to allow all students to achieve the highest possible levels of performance, both academically (students with SEND should be making at least expected progress) but also in other areas of school life.
- Raising the self-esteem and aspirations of students with SEND and developing their skills as independent learners.
- Developing and maintaining communication and effective partnerships with parents.
- Following the requirements and recommendations of the SEND Code of Practice 2015.
What is the Local Offer?
The purpose of the Local Offer is to enable parents and young people to see more clearly what services are available to them in the area and how to access them. The offer includes provision from birth to 25, across education, health and social care and has been developed in conjunction with children and young people, parents and carers and local services, including schools, colleges, health and social care agencies. View the NYCC Local Offer