- Art and Design
- ASDAN Award
- Business Studies GCSE
- Combined Science: Trilogy GCSE
- Computer Science GCSE
- Core Physical Education
- Design and Technology GCSE
- Drama GCSE
- Engineering GCSE - DT
- English Language and Literature
- Fashion & Textiles Technical Award - DT
- Food & Nutrition - DT
- French or Spanish
- Health and Social Care National Award
- Information Technology Technical Award
- Material Technology Technical Award - DT
- Music GCSE
- Physical Education & Sport
- PSHCRE (Core)
- Social & Religious Studies
- Visual Communication Technical Award - DT
- Years 7-9
Social and Religious Studies
The Social & Religious Studies department encourages an open exchange and sharing of viewpoints, beliefs and ideas in an atmosphere of mutual respect. There is plenty of opportunity for personal reflection to help students decide where they stand on moral, social, cultural and religious issues.
We live in a world where faith plays an important part in the lives of millions and directly or indirectly influences our world. Students have the chance to explore these issues and understand more about the beliefs and values of the community, country and world they live in.
Social and Religious Studies (SRS) at KS3 follows the North Yorkshire Agreed Syllabus of Religious Education. It is carefully structured to be lively and motivating, encouraging both learning from and learning about religions. The six major world faiths are taught and philosophical and moral issues are introduced early on so that students can use transferable thinking skills in all subjects and in wider aspects of life. The course is designed to prepare students for GCSE SRS.
What students will study:
In Year 7
- World Faiths – An Introduction
- Science vs Religion – How did the world begin?
- The life of Jesus
- Holy Week
- Islam - The 5 Pillars
- An introduction to Buddhism
In Year 8
- Why believe in God?
- Nature of God & Problem of Evil
- Islam and Christianity – A Comparison
- Prejudice and Discrimination – How have people responded?
- Defending Faith
In Year 9
- Is it ever right to take life?
- Animal vs Human Rights
- The Sociology of Religion
- Religious themes in Narnia