- Art and Design
- ASDAN Award
- Business Studies GCSE
- Combined Science: Trilogy GCSE
- Core Physical Education
- Drama GCSE
- Engineering GCSE - DT
- English Language and Literature
- Food & Nutrition - DT
- French or Spanish
- Health and Social Care National Award
- Information Technology Technical Award
- Material Technology Technical Award - DT
- Music GCSE
- Physical Education & Sport
- PSHCRE (Core)
- Social & Religious Studies
- Years 7-9
Material Technology Technical Award - DT
This new Level 1/2 Technical Awards is ideally suited to learners with a preference for practical, in addition to, theoretical learning. These qualifications all have a focus on creativity.
14-16 year olds who want to study materials in a creative and practical way and understand the working properties of woods, metals and polymers will really enjoy this course. It will enable learners to work in a hands-on way to develop the core skills to make high-quality products using woods, metals and polymers.
Learners will have the opportunity to use traditional skills and also modern technologies.
The course content
- Development of a variety of workshop and modern skills.
- Understand specialist technical principles
- Planning, production and evaluation of a product.
- Understand, material properties, processes and commercial manufacturing techniques.
30% - Unit one: Skills Demonstration (internal assessment)
Students undertake a number of mini projects that will allow them to be assessed against 12 practical skills and the knowledge associated with these.
30% - Unit two: Extended making project (internal assessment)
Students will produce a made outcome in addition to a small portfolio to evidence the planning and development and testing and evaluation stages.
40% - Unit three: Fundamentals of materials technology (90 minutes external examination)
Materials and their working properties; processes and manufacture; joining, components, adhesives and finishes; product specification; commercial practice and careers opportunities.
Students can opt for only one design and technology based subject at GCSE level.
These vocational qualifications fulfil entry requirements for academic and vocational study post-16 and could potentially open the door to a career in related industries.
Northallerton School & Sixth Form College