- Art and Design
- ASDAN Award
- Business Studies GCSE
- Combined Science: Trilogy GCSE
- Computer Science GCSE
- Core Physical Education
- Design and Technology GCSE
- Drama GCSE
- Engineering GCSE - DT
- English Language and Literature
- Fashion & Textiles Technical Award - DT
- Food & Nutrition - DT
- French or Spanish
- Health and Social Care National Award
- Information Technology Technical Award
- Material Technology Technical Award - DT
- Music GCSE
- Physical Education & Sport
- PSHCRE (Core)
- Social & Religious Studies
- Visual Communication Technical Award - DT
- Years 7-9
Fashion & Textiles Technical Award - DT
This new Level 1/2 Technical Awards is ideally suited to learners with a preference for practical, in addition to, theoretical learning. These qualifications all have a focus on creativity.
This qualification is designed for 14–16 year olds who want to study fashion and textiles in a hands on, practical way that helps them develop the knowledge, skills and experience that could open the door to a career in the industry.
The course will develop a wide range of practical making skills incorporating surface embellishment, joining and finishing, combining materials and colouring fabrics. Learners will also develop an understanding of commercial processes and an in-depth knowledge of textiles based materials and their properties.
The course content
- Development of a variety of workshop and modern skills.
- Understand specialist technical principles
- Planning, production and evaluation of a product.
- Understand, material properties, processes and commercial manufacturing techniques.
30% - Unit one: Skills Demonstration (internal assessment)
Students undertake a number of mini projects that will allow them to be assessed against 12 practical skills and the knowledge associated with these.
30% - Unit two: Extended making project (internal assessment)
Students will produce a made outcome in addition to a small portfolio to evidence the planning and development and testing and evaluation stages.
40% - Unit three: Fundamentals of materials technology (90 minutes external examination)
Materials and components; processes and techniques; tools and equipment; industrial processes; ICT and CAD/CAM; commercial practice and career opportunities.
Students can opt for only one design and technology based subject at GCSE level.
Students can progress to Technical Certificates and other Level 3 vocational qualifications such as BTEC Extended Level 3 Diploma in Fashion and Textiles or A-level Design and Technology: Fashion and Textiles.
Northallerton School & Sixth Form College